Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Holy Discontent

Several weeks ago Epic made an epic decision - we want to do more and better things. We are a group of energetic, active and upbeat young adults that are passionate about God and his people. Now comes the big question - what do we do with all this energy and passion?

Mark and I recently travelled home for a quick weekend visit to Wichita and attended my parents' church on Sunday morning. My dad has been the minister at Central Church of Christ (now RiverWalk Church of Christ) for 30 years. I have heard thousands of his sermons and the message he spoke that morning is still with me today. RiverWalk is undergoing a revival. This year, the church changed its name, started a capital campaign and is beginning to redefine what it means to be a body of Christ. RiverWalk is committing to weekly and monthly all-church service projects, adopting local schools, giving up Saturday mornings to help serve breakfast to the homeless and is praying for God's guidance and intercession in their lives and in the life of the church. RiverWalk is finding out what it really means to be God's hands and feet - treating people the way Jesus did and serving without hesitation.

Dad's sermon that morning was about having a Holy Discontent - a state of being that occurs when frustration over what is happening in the world connects to the promise of what God wants to do through us. God wants to use his children (that's us!) to restore what is broken in this world. What are you discontent about? What issues or injustices make you frustrated and angry? How can God use you (and us) to restore that brokenness?

For me, I am angry about how many people in our world go to bed hungry every night. In the land of fast food restaurants and skyrocketing obesity rates why are people in the US and other countries literally starving to death? Obviously I personally don't have the resources or ability to feed every hungry person on earth. But, I can do something here in KC to help change one person or one family's situation whether that be donating food, helping raise money or working alongside an organization dedicated to that cause. If Jesus can turn five loaves of bread and two fish into a feast for thousands then surely he can use my time and resources to take care of people's needs in KC.

2 Cor 5:14-15 says "For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again."

Do you have a Holy Discontent? Is there a brokenness that you see in this world that makes you angry and frustrated? I would love to hear your thoughts - feel free to leave comments!

1 comment:

  1. I really like that point that anger and frustration can be holy. I don't think I'm outraged enough about things that people all over the world suffer through. I think I'm getting closer, but it's happening slowly. Thanks for your encouragement and the reminder that my heart is supposed to be compelled, not just satisfied, to love and help others.

    ReplyDelete